Friday, November 9, 2012

Finished quilt top and thread catchers

I have a couple small finishes and a completed quilt top to share today.

After seeing Amanda Jean's thread catchers last week, I decided it was about time to make a couple for myself.  I really needed one to use by my sewing machine, and one for beside the couch where I sit and do hand stitching projects.  

Thread Catchers

The first one I made ended up being a little tall and narrow.  It's almost the perfect size for a pop can.

Thread Catcher

The second one is more the size and shape I had in mind, but both will work just fine.

Thread Catcher

I also finished my quilt top and decided to call it Improv Stars and Stripes.

Improv Stars and Stripes Quilt

While laying out the blocks on the floor, I was reminded of my Swoon blocks.  Since those are 24" blocks, they fit in with my 12" blocks quite easily.

Improv Stars and Stripes Quilt

So once again, my plan for this quilt changed.  Originally I started out planning to do all 16 patch blocks using just two fabrics per block.

16_patch_blocks

Then I decided to alternate with some stripes.

more stripes

But I got bored with the stripes and checks too quickly.  The colors were similar, so I used my Farmer's Wife blocks, and just added borders to get them up to 12".

Improv Stars and Stripes Quilt

Now the king sized 16 patch quilt has turned into a queen sized quilt that looks like this.

Improv Stars and Stripes Quilt

This is definitely not what I originally planned, but I really like it.  I especially like that I was able to use both my Swoon blocks and Farmer's Wife blocks.  Those are two WIPS I can cross off my list now.  There are just always more projects that I want to make than what I have time for, and maybe combining them like this will be the solution for me more in the future as well.

Linked to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

14 comments:

  1. I'm not usually a fan of sampler style quilts - too random - but this is lovely - bright, colourful and pretty and it all works together too. I should think you would be pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilt top!! Your thread catchers are so cute too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt top. I love that you combined a few projects. Great thread catchers too. It is the time of year for more small projects and gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from Finish it Up Friday, and am glad I did! I love the idea of a quilted coozie to keep my Diet Coke from sweating all over my cutting mat. This is a perpetual problem for me. :) And your quilt top is amazing. I love the Farmer's Wife blocks combined with the Swoon blocks, they really go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to use up unfinished projects and get a finished quilt out of it. It's a fun and bright quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the thread catchers and the quilts. You've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All your pieces are really cool! I love the modern fresh colours! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your projects - especially the quilt top. It turned out great. I love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! It's such a great idea to combine those pesky WIPs and all of the different blocks flow together so well. This is one great project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second that... this is one great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun fun quilt! Love it! Great job combining the WIP's too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to admit that this is what I have been looking for. I've been making a memory quilt and started using swoon blocks but I don't think I have enough different fabrics to make the whole thing swoon and I've hit a road block trying to come up with another pattern. Thanks to Elizabeth Dackson for pinning it so I could be introduced to your awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete