Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Lots of Hexies!

I've been making English paper pieced hexagons for about a year and a half now.  I tend to get really into the project for awhile, and then set it aside for a couple months before picking it back up.  I do eventually want to make a full quilt out of these.

hexy_progress

These hexagons are 1" on each side.  I got my papers from paperpieces.com.  I punch a hole in the center of each paper, so they are easy to remove with a small crochet hook.  I also just stitch at each corner and don't stitch through the papers.

hexies_back

Instead of making the traditional Grandmother's Flower Garden pattern, I'm just going to piece them together with a more random pattern and none of the traditional garden paths.  I'm calling my quilt a Granddaughter's Flower Garden quilt.

Hexies for mini quilt

Here are some of the hexies I have pieced together to make a mini-quilt.  Now I just need to figure out how to best applique this piece onto my background fabric.  Then I plan to hand quilt it.


Hexies for mini quilt

Linked to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

3 comments:

  1. Your hexies are gorgeous! Great idea to punch a hole in the middle - don't think I would have thought of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are lovely-I love the solid flowers that jump out from the prints around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, yes, hexis are addicting! Yours is so bright and pretty. Keep at it and it will be done.

    blessings, jill
    visiting from WIP freshly pieced

    ReplyDelete