Monday, October 1, 2012

Free motion quilting class

Saturday afternoon I took a free motion quilting class at a local quilt shop, Quilter's Haven.  I really enjoyed the class, and learned quite a bit.  It's amazing how fast a 4 hour class can go when you're having fun.

First we started with stippling.  After practicing on paper for a bit, we tried it on our machines.  I find stippling to be very challenging.

Stippling and spirals 

Next we worked on loops, which are so much easier.  We also learned how to make teardrops.  Those were super fun. 


tear drops and loops

After I got home from the class, I practiced some more of the teardrops and then echo quilted around those and added some swirls.

teardrops and echoing

I'm excited to try using some of those teardrops on a quilt.


1 comment:

  1. Your free motion quilting is beautiful. I've always been so afraid of trying it. I can't believe you made so many gorgeous swatches in only 4 hours. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a similar class in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete