Monday, July 2, 2012

Sock Monkey bed and blanket

I got a bunch of great sewing time this weekend! I planned to sew a gift for a new baby in the family. Earlier this year I found these cute sock monkeys on sale at Target. I already had a lot of left over sock monkey fabric from a quilt I had made for my son, and when I saw these cute little monkeys I just had to buy several! I knew I’d be able to make something to go with them for gifts.

Sock_monkey_basket

My original idea was to make a little pillow, with a pocket for the monkey.  That would require buying or making a pillow form though.  So instead the idea morphed into a sort of quillow, that would make a cute little bed for the monkey.

Sock_monkey_bed_pink

This was the perfect little project for my first attempt at free motion quilting.  I really enjoyed doing the quilting.  I just meandered in a loopy pattern over the whole thing.  I want to attempt this on a larger quilt, but I think it will be terribly difficult on my machine that has limited harp space.

Sock_monkey_blanket_ pink (2)

Sock_monkey_blanket_ pink (1)

Sock_monkey_quilting

Instead of just making one for the new baby, I ended up making two more for my kids. The quilting got a little easier with each one I did.

Sock_Monkey_beds

I now have 6 monkeys left that need beds!

2 comments: