Thursday, July 19, 2012

Granny squares for the night stand

I made two granny square blocks back in February after seeing Jolene's granny square quilt block tutorial at Blue Elephant Stitches.

Granny square pieces

I didn't  want to waste the background fabric, so I used setting triangles instead of squares.

Granny square green and blue

These blocks are so fun to make, and a good way to use a variety of fabrics.  I wanted to make a queen size quilt out of these, but then the blocks got put away and I didn't get around to making any more.

When we got a new nightstand, I decided these would make a great table topper.  All I had to do was make one more block, and I'd be able to enjoy them right away!

Granny on the table

Another bonus, was this made for a good small project to practice free motion quilting.  I tried stippling for the first time.  Up close the quilting isn't great, but it has a very nice overall effect, so I'm quite pleased with it.

Granny square quilting

And now I have a happy night stand!

Granny on night stand

No comments:

Post a Comment